14 September 2017

How To Fringe 2017: Kasey Gambling

Kasey Gambling
Actor, theatre maker

The Maze
16–27 September
Meet out the front of Joe Taylor

SM: Disappointed that I missed this last year, so no excuse this year.

Kasey Gambling. Photo by Marnya Rothe

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Probably Clementine Ford, just cos I think she’s rad.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words.
Experimental. Art. Community.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory
My first experience of Melbourne Fringe was a night of dancing at the Fringe Hub. I had never seen a fringe show but my friends wanted to go to the Hub for a dance. When I arrived, I remember thinking, “This is where my people are”. Then I sweated up a storm and danced until they turned the lights on and kicked us out.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
It’s both challenging and super supportive. It’s fantastic that there’s so much to see at Fringe, but it also means you’re competing with so many talented artists.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
Melbourne Fringe is great at offering support for its artists, whether it’s providing workshops and information sessions or just chatting through your work with one of the staff.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
Mix it up! Support your pals, but then sit down with the guide and seek out an artist you’ve never heard of. I’ve also found the Guide Me section of Melbourne Fringe website really helpful; check out the Indigenous, Feminist and Queer guides to Melbourne Fringe.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
Star ratings do little to describe any nuance. Readers see the stars and then read the review with that in mind. I say, get rid of it all together – just use your words.

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
Discordia
Metamorphoses
Hyper-Fragility with Candy Bowers and Victoria Chiu
Hannah Camilleri: Vision Statement
Ghosts vs Skeletons