This is beautiful
The Public Studio
19 July 2013
Tower Theatre, Malthouse Theatre
to 3 August
This is beautiful is the second work in Malthouse's independent theatre program, Helium. As performance art, it never claims to be theatre.
There are three screens, a large fruit and flower display, and three black lumps from which three dress-clad performers appear and ask questions about beauty.
I describe theatre and art as beautiful a lot. This work made me want to define what I think is beautiful.
- is created from your heart more than your head
- tells me something I didn't know about you
- reveals something that lets me connect with you and your view of the world
- is created by people who know their audience is smarter than they are
- asks questions beyond the obvious
- shares and celebrates.
Beauty has little connection with aesthetic choice.
This is beautiful is many things, but I didn't think it was beautiful.