16 October 2019

Review: Yadna's 47th Birthday

Yadna's 47th Birthday
Lessons with Luis
13 October 2019
Fleming Park Community Hall
next show 20 October
Facebook event page


Lessons with Luis. "Yadna's 47th Birthday"

Dear Luis,

Thank you very much for inviting me to Yadna's 47th Birthday party.

The hall looked so good with the decorations and the cakes and chips were yummy; I had a pink cake. I was also really happy that I could wear the badge that you made; it's my most favourite badge because no one else in the world has a badge of a happy meerkat fixing a bicycle.

I'm sorry Luelin wrapped your cat puzzle up as a pass-the-parcel prize; if I see one like it at an op shop, I will buy it for you. I also have a little brother and even as adults, little brothers can be really annoying. But it was really nice when he sang Yadna your mum's favourite song. I think your mum would be very happy knowing that you have a neighbour like Yadna who makes you both lasagne.

Some photos I took at the party
and Luis's photo of the doily I made Yadna.
(Luis thought it was for catching spiders!)

I'm going to a lot Melbourne International Arts Festival shows this month, so I write about things called the canon (which isn't a glitter canon; glitter canons are far better) and use words like intersectionality, diversity, context, discourse, and immersive experiential theatre that creates community through the unconscious impact of subjective narrative. I also use some swear words, which I know you don't like, when I describe art.

Words to describe you and your super-excellent party are: cool, super-cool, very talented, kind and loving. Love is a very important word, isn't it.

(And immersive experiential theatre that creates community through the unconscious impact of subjective narrative. And in the name of all that's mother-fucking holy, how is there not a Lessons with Luis tv show that will stream all over the world and be seen and loved as much as Nanette?)

I also really like your new song, "Cat Surprise". Not only because it's a good song, but because the lyrics mean a lot to me. I love it when I'm walking down the street and see a surprise cat, especially when the cat wants a pat. I don't have a cat at home any more. This is sad news, but my cat Molly had to go to the rainbow bridge earlier in the year. That means she died. She was just over 19 and a half, which is very very old, so it was time for her to go. (Maybe she has given your mum a surprise visit and they've had a pat together.) I still miss her very much, but she was loved and safe since she was found by my neighbour in a drain as a four-week-old kitten. Loved and safe are very good things. And neighbours who are friends, like Yadna, are also very good things to have in your life.

I know that you and Luelin are giving Yadna a second birthday party – because she deserves two parties – and I hope that lots of people come and bring her presents.

Love from

Anne-Marie

PS. I'm a bit more than 47 and I think Yadna is a little bit older than me, but I won't tell her that.