28 November 2009

What's on this week? 27 November 2009

What's on this Week?
27 November 2009

Malthouse Theatre is the place to be if you're looking for some bloody fine theatre this weekend. If I had to pick between Africa and Structure and Sadness, I'd say see both.  Which still leaves a couple of nights next week to see everything else.

Africa
My Darling Patricia
Malthouse Theatre
I think it's the best thing My Darling Patricia have done - and I love everything I've seen MDP do.
review
It finishes on Sunday.

Structure and Sadness
Malthouse Theatre and Lucy Guerin Inc
Stunning telling of a Melbourne story. Kind of show that makes me understand dance.
review
It also finishes on Sunday.


Short and Sweet
Chapel on Chapel
We're into week two, with Wildcards on Saturday afternoon.
Week One, Top 30
Week Two, Top 30
Short and Sweet reviews 2006-08

On Ego
Red Stitch
If you saw Grace at the MTC earlier in the year, you have to see this work by Mick Gordon - and see how his words can be told in a very different way.
Until 19 December.
review

Spontaneous Broadway
Comedy Theatre
If you haven't seen this yet - do. If you have - I'll see you there. If you don't hurt from laughing, check that you aren't dead.
2007 review. 2008 review.
2-5 December only

The Oracle
Malthouse Theatre and The Sydney Opera House
Back in the 90s Meryl Tankard helped define Australian contemporay dance.
Only running from 2-6 December, so  there's no time to wait and see what people think.

The Flood
La Mama
The perfectly wonderful Jackie Smith (The Burlesque Hour etc) wote this. I can't wait.
3-20 December

1989
St Martins Youth Arts Centre
Four short plays based on the ancient world of 20 years ago. Great chance to see some of our best young writers and performers.

(And,for us who remember 1989 , there's the B52s on Thursday night. I hope Fred still plays the tambourine.)