01 February 2013

Should reviews discuss the price of tickets?

Should reviews discuss the price of tickets?

I'm regularly reminded that I'm lucky to get free tickets to shows. I KNOW! But I also know that (like most web writers), I spend hours of my time writing about these shows for free. I think it's a fair exchange and would do it even if I won lotto and didn't have to panic about next month's rent or try to save $3 by picking up a pizza treat instead of getting it delivered.

Like many arts workers, I know that spending $100, $50 or $10 on ticket is something that needs considering and is out of the reach of many people.

So, if I think a show is or isn't worth $98, I'm going to say so.

I've already discussed that tickets should cost money because artists (even writers) deserve to be paid, but am going to continue to support discount ticket organisations. Not because I want artists to starve, but because I want starving artists to see as much theatre as I do.

If you can afford a full price ticket, you'll support the artists and buy it, while others can support the artists by telling other people how great the show is and encouraging them to buy tickets.

How to get cheaper tickets?

Join Little Birdy right now and save $100s next week.

Drop by Half tix in Swanston Street

Check Lasttix.

Follow your favourite companies on Facebook and Twitter.

And please tweet (@SometimesMelb) me with deals and offers and I'll pass them on to eager audiences.