23 April 2019

MICF: Keep – Daniel Kitson

MICF
Keep
Daniel Kitson
21 April 2019
Coopers Malthouse – Merlyn
to 21 April
comedyfestival.com.au

Daniel Kitson

I was always going to finish MICF with Daniel Kitson. It was tempting to go earlier, but it's hard to follow Kitson.

He doesn't do media or have a media night any more, even if some review him anyway. Instead he does lots of shows in a good-sized theatre and sells tickets at an accessible price. I don't think there were many spare seats for the entire season, and everyone I spoke to who saw it said that I had to see it and that they weren't going to say any thing about it. And that's without him giving out #KeepTheSecrets badges.

As a media, it's sad to not create a wordgasm about him and see a quoted row of stars that I assigned.

As a media, it's a fucking relief to not even have to try to summarise the complexity of the structure and interweaving themes and the goddam joy of spending over two hours with a middle-aged man who has listed every thing he owns and typed them up on cards in an old library card catalogue.

I haven't written much about Kitson, but I always see his work and his work inspires me when I want to walk away and never write again.

And I need something to link to when I list it as a favourite at the end of the year.