12 March 2020

MICF: Alice Tovey, Doggo

MELBOURNE INDEPENDENT CELEBRATORY FEMINIST
Alice Tovey
Doggo
2–19 April
The Butterfly Club
comedyfestival.com.au

Alice Tovey. Photo by Theresa Harrison

Alice's Garbage Monster was one of my favourite cabaret shows of last year. It ensured that I will never wear a too-tight shame bra again. This show might be about dogs! Everyone assumes that I'm a cat person (cos cats), but I'm really bipetal: I love dogs and cats. Or maybe panpetal ...

To get to know some of the people Alice talks about here, listen to Dump Him: The Game Show podcast.  (Oh, the things I no know about them.) AND, it has live shows every Friday during the festival. I don't know if I can stay up until 11.30 to be at them, but I'll try.

And there's the return season of Polygamy, Polygayu: A New Musical. Another show I loved a lot last year.

If you could see anyone (possible or impossible) in your audience, who would it be?
Brendan Fraser in the 1997 movie version of George of the Jungle. No further questions.

SM:As a journalist, I have never understood an answer quite as much as this one. 

What is one of your favourite comedy festival memories?
The first festival show performed in was an hour long musical parody of Les Miserables. I had to sing a long about oral sex to the tune of "On My Own",  which, needless to say, bought the house down every night.

Who is one of your favourite Melbourne Indie Celebratory Feminists?
I adore the vivacious, ferocious Anna Piper Scott. She may be the queen of snark, but the love that Anna has shown women in comedy is truly inspiring. Every day I am more in awe of her and her never ending cabinet of awards. Her show is what I want all of my comedy to be: raw, beautiful, evocative story telling by a shit hot lady.

What three shows are you not going miss this comedy festival?
Scout Boxall Good Egg (It broke my brain and changed my life. Scout hurls themselves off the precipice of excellence into a never ending gorge of silly every day and I am here for it.)
Charity Werk Drama Queen  (There is nothing that Charity can't do. She's one of the hardest working comedians in the country and the show she has created is pure gold. If you like glitter and anecdotes about the oppressive catholic school system, see Ms Werk.)
Patrick Collins Mime Sherrif  (Talented bastard. He's good at everything and he's hot, it's disgusting. If it wasn't for the fact that Patrick is the only other bisexual in comedy besides yours truly, I would despise that mime.)

AT: It's impossible to chose only three.
SM: It is bloody hard, isn't it.
AT: While I'm here, shout out to the incredible Lauren Edwards, Jude Perl, Mormon Girl, Big Big Big, Woah! Alyssa, Bella Green, Breast of the Fest, Stuart Daulman, We Are Nemesis and Dazza & Keif.

What else could MICF stand for?
Moo I Cow Friend.
Milk Isn't Cancelled Francine!
Most Iguanas Can't Fart (might be a fact).


GIVEAWAY COMPETITION

2 double passes to

Alice Tovey, Doggo
2 April
7.00pm
The Butterfly Club

EMAIL with ALICE TOVEY COMPETITION in the subject
Closes on 27 March 2020