14 September 2017

How To Fringe 2017: Alice Tovey

Alice Tovey
Musical comedian, proud screaming feminist, rock god

Alice Tovey: Mansplaining
23–30 September
Arts House – Underground

SM: I finally saw Alice and Ned at last year's Fringe; see them.

Alice Tovey, Ned Dixon. Photo by Sarah Walker

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Yassmin Abdel-Magied. She inspired a lot of the material in the show and I just want to buy her a cup of tea and be her mate. TWEET HER IN

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
Feminist, fierce and in-your-face.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
There really are too many to choose from; some of my happiest memories are at the Fringe. Melbourne Fringe gave me my first opportunity to create cabaret. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be working with the wonderful Ned Dixon, and I wouldn’t have the immense privilege of performing shows on the reg. However, my favourite memory would have to be performing with my band, The Apostles, at the Fringe Opening Gala in 2016. Those guys are a pack of legends and the crowd was incredible.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
Always a positive one. The Fringe staff give their artists a lot of room to grow and the tools to get to where they want to be. I’m very grateful to the whole team for the support they’ve given us over the years

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
The performers. Melbourne Fringe artists are very political and aren’t afraid to perform something totally left of centre.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
See everything. Take some long service leave and see every show at the Fringe. Go to the website now and book all of the tickets. I’m serious. Do it

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
I don’t think we’ll ever find a system of reviewing that satisfies both performers and critics. It’s not the job of critics to make performers feel good about themselves, nor is it my job to create work to be reviewed. At the end of the day, we’re all just doing our job. I know when I’ve put on a good show. Sure, a critic might not like what I’ve done, but as long as I know that I’ve done the best I can do, that’s all that matters. I know that sounds like some real namby-pamby, touchy-feely, sensitive performer bullshit, but gone are my days of crying in the shower over a bad review that says I “lack diction”. I don’t need that kind of negativity in my life

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
AT: ONLY 5!?!
SM: Yes.
AT: I’m going to do a cheeky 8 shows, because there really are too many.
SM: OK, but only cos three people only did 4.
AT: Here's 10

The Vagina Monologues by Deafferent Theatre 
Rama Nicholas in The Lucky Ones
I’m Fine by Lucy Gransbury
Adam McKenzie: Laser Light
Yada Yada Yada: a 90s Sitcom Special
A Bok In Progress by Lauren Bok

Fringe Wives Club: Glittery Clittery: a conSENSUAL party
Seen & Heard by Becky Lou
Self
Church curated by Mama Alto