08 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Bridget Sweeney

Bridget Sweeney
Actor, occasional stage manager

Too Soon, Too Now
14–19 September
Upstairs at Errol’s

Bridget Sweeney. Photo by Jordan Peters

If you could invite anyone to see show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Lorde. To give thanks.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words.
Everything is Art.
(Oh zing, they didn’t even pay me to say that.)

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
Probably the Madonna party in the hub last year. My creative partner, Fiona Spitzkowsky, and I definitely let our body’s move to music. And it was the fateful night our project Too Soon, Too Now baby was born.

Also, I declared my love to Megan Washington. Megan, if you’re reading this, I still do. Come see my show.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
Outside of being an audience member, my first involvement in Fringe was in 2014 when I stage managed Adam Spellicy’s The Glass Menagerie. This year is my first time in Fringe as a performer, and I am super excited.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique
It really celebrates that anyone can be an Artist.

The city becomes alive, and it's inspiring to see so many creative juices flowing and ripening.

What’s your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe?
See everything and anything you can.

See the Melbourne Fringe Festival is like a box of chocolates … you never know which ones are nuts.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
The emoji okay symbol. Choice. 👌

But with no limit as to how many you can give. None of this out of five business – the limit does not exist.

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
The Children’s Party
Hyper-Fragility with Candy Bowers and Victoria Chiu
Where’s David? by Sandra Chui
Too Ready Mirror
It’s Not Me, It’s Lou