15 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Elliott Gee

Elliott Gee
actor, performance maker, performer in every sense of the word 
member of The Very Good Looking Initiative

Let’s Get Practical! Live
15–23rd September
The Lithuanian Club –The Loft
Arts House – Underground on the 23rd of September.

Elliot Gee. Photo by Sarah Walker

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
It’s not a usually choice for me, but I think it would be Tom Cruise. I’ve been watching Scientology videos and I would just love to have Tom and his intense smile, especially in the foyer after the show. Can you imagine how enthusiastic he would be about the show?And then try and get the audience to convert. 

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
Chaotic, unexpected, community.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
2011 was my first year living in Melbourne after moving from Tasmania. Before moving to the big city, fringe festivals were so intriguing to me and I always wanted to be a part of one. When I went to my first Fringe Club event I remember being so inspired by everything that was going on; just looking around and taking it all in with my mouth wide open – the music, the dancing, the costumes, the colours, the people and the energy in the room. It was a very memorable night but I have that feeling every year the Melbourne Fringe rolls around. I also asked a guy behind the bar who had an amazing beard how to grow facial hair like his, his answer was to hand me a scotch whisky straight and said “Here, drink this”.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
Each of my experiences at Melbourne Fringe have been very different, including the shows I was a part of, the artists I was working with, the spaces we performed in and even experiencing the festival just as a patron. It’s exciting, stressful, tiring; you aren't a normal person for the majority of the festival but that’s what I love.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
The first thing that comes to mind for me is The Fringe Hub. I love that the Melbourne’s Fringe Hub is at the North Melbourne Town Hall and Errol street. It's so unique, the architecture of the building, the spaces, the fringe club and the energy of Errol street. The whole building turns into an amazing maze of art. For two and a half weeks the building is filled with art and people.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe?
Take risks and see shows you wouldn't usually see. Fill your 2.5 weeks with a diverse range of shows and performances. If it grabs your attention, bloody go for it.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
I think the star rating system works pretty fine; it's very clear and simple. I think it is an important tool for advertising and further promoting the show. When I want to see a show I only use the star rating as a guide anyway. Plus if I got a one-star review I probably wouldn't use it, or maybe I would. Maybe that's what we should do? Change it so that one star means your show is awesome and 5 stars means it's bad.

Five shows/events you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
How To Kill The Queen Of Pop
Discordia
Hannah Camilleri: Vision Statement
Faith. A celebration of the world's most unholy queer icon: George Michael
It’s Not Me, It’s Lou.