23 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Lauren Edwards

Lauren Edwards
Performer, writer

Yada Yada Yada: A 90’s Sitcom Special
September 28
Lithuanian Club

Lauren Edwards, Jude Pearl

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Gina Riley – so I could apologise for that time I embarrassed myself in front of her in 2008. And then maybe she might like me and we could become best friends.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
My First Time (I’m a Fringe artist virgin).

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
Last year I accidentally ended up at the Fringe after party and drank a lot of beer and danced to a lot of Usher with people I’d never met. So that was ace.

What is your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe?
Admittedly, this is my first experience as a Fringe artist, but so far it’s been nothing but great and supportive!

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
Just the sheer breadth of shows and artists it manages to showcase.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe?
Obviously my first answer is come to my show, but honestly, try and expand your horizons. Some of the best shows I’ve ever seen have been ones I have stumbled upon or just seen a flyer and gone “Yeah okay, I’ll give it a go”.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
I feel like some sort of recommendation system based on audience preferences? You know how Netflix does that thing where it says, “Because you liked…” and then recommends other shows for you to watch and then you fall down a television rabbit hole because everything is great and you haven’t left your house in three days … wait … what were we talking about?

Shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
Alice Tovey: Mansplaining
Anything at the Speigeltent
Hamiltunes. An Improvised History by Impromptunes
Awards Night and After Party at the Fringe Hub