25 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Zeb Direen

Zeb Direen
Singer, dancer, aerialist

Maybe This Time
25 September – 1 October
The Butterfly Club

Zeb Direen. Photo by Snap Dragon Photography

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
Caroline O’Connor.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
Alternate Grand Final.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
After the opening party and waiting to catch a tram home. Another gender non-binary artist was waiting for the same tram and overheard my conversation of wanting to give my friend relationship advice by singing Disney songs at them and wholeheartedly wanted to join in.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
A roller coaster of emotions and having to think quickly and create inventively. It’s been an amazing melting pot of artists from a huge scope of disciplines. It’s been amazing meeting them and sharing with them.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique.
The freedom to create and be a part of something big without rigorous curation.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
I’m a lucky dip sorta person; I let the stream take me. What’s a convenient venue? What can I afford? What’s happening close to where I am right now?

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
Rather than stars, use objects relevant to the show. Sad show? I give it a soft tissue. Happy show? I give it a giant hug.

Five shows/events that you will not/did not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
Bed Reckoning
TRANSCENDENT
Church curated by Mama Alto
Ugly Duckling by Spanky! & Karla Hillam
How To Kill The Queen Of Pop