03 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Paige Marshall

Paige Marshall
Theatre maker/director. I also work as a speech pathologist in early childhood intervention

I Carry Your Heart
15–22 September
Fringe Hub: Arts House – Studio 1

Paige Marshall. Photo by Dannika Bonser

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
I would love if my family and friends who live overseas/interstate could be there; alas, it’s a bit of a way to come. I’m looking forward to sharing the show with folks from the Kin Collective, Elbow Room, and Dee & Cornelius (fingers crossed they can all make it). Clare Bowditch and Carrie Bickmore would be great too.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words.
A delicious bounty.

A Melbourne Fringe memory.
In the months after I lost my partner (the impetus for creating I Carry Your Heart), a dear friend took me out for dinner at Gerald’s Bar followed by my first ever Melbourne Fringe show that starred playwright Katy Warner. Six years later I’m presenting my first Fringe work, quite the road in between.

What is your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe?
I have loved being a part of the Fringe community. The support provided by the Fringe team is exceptional and has made my life as a first-time co-producer so much easier than it could have been. The FAQ information sessions have been invaluable. Huge shout outs to Xanthe and Tom B.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique?
The boldness and willingness of artists to try new things. It’s a safe and supportive place to create and have a public outcome for new work and ideas.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
As an artist, I like to support those who support me. I also like to choose a mix of genres and seek out artists/companies that create accessible art.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
Mind blank ... ummm fruit baskets? From rotting to various levels of bountiful fruit and treats. Champagne and chocolate are obviously included in the 5-star basket. Like, really expensive champagne.

Five shows/events  you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
The Children’s Party
Congress, All the Queen’s Men
The Vagina Monologues by Deafferent Theatre 
Title and Deed (Monologue for a Slightly Foreign Man)
Hamiltunes, Impromptunes
The Maze