12 September 2017

How to Fringe 2017: Annie Louey

Annie Louey
Stand-up comedian, actor

Butt Donut
12–17 September
The Mechanics Institute

Annoe Louey. Photo by Matt Kimpton at Verve Portraits

If you could invite anyone to your show (and you knew they would come), who would it be?
I would invite my dad. I wish he could see the art that I’ve made out of some really terrible times. I think he would have secretly enjoyed it.

The Melbourne Fringe in three words?
Inclusive, unconventional, empowering.

A favourite Melbourne Fringe memory.
Last year I performed in the Fringe as part of the sketch comedy group Dr Duck and I was involved in a two-person sketch about farts. Shortly after that sketch, an audience member let one rip on purpose because they thought it would be funny.

Your experience as an independent artist being part of the Melbourne Fringe.
As a first-time Fringe artist, my experience so far has been fantastic. I’m so glad I signed up because it has given me a goal to work towards and a huge amount of confidence. I finally feel comfortable telling people that I’m a comedian. I also went to all of the Fringe FAQ sessions and felt very supported by the Fringe family.

What makes the Melbourne Fringe unique.
It’s weird in the best way. And the size of the festival allows artists to stand out while being able to try new work in a safe environment.

Your advice for choosing what to see in the Melbourne Fringe.
Don’t be afraid to try something different. Check out what’s buzzing on social media. Sometimes I prefer to read comments from real audience members than reviewers.

Do you think there’s a better system than star ratings for reviews?
Why not get rid of stars and enforce the compliment sandwich.

Five shows/events that you will not miss at the 2017 Melbourne Fringe.
The Yonder. Stupid race through deep space. by Normal Children
Absolute (Un)certainty
Like Memes But Live
Estrella Wing, Showgirl by Margot Tanjutco
Tessa Waters: Volcano